Monday, October 5, 2009

Chinese Style Roast Pork, plus Julie & Julia

I watched the movie Julie & Julia yesterday, and it got me thinking...why do people set up blogs? Is it to "give yourself something to do" or is it a narcissistic indulgence, where everything can really be "me me me"? Julie Powell was one of the pioneers in everyday blogging culture, when there were maybe just 1000 of serious blogs in the world...not the millions out there now. Hard to imagine that was really just 7 years ago.

For me, I started this when I quit my job...I think it was to give me something to do. I quit rather suddenly, and as other people have pointed out, my job had really come to consume my life. Leaving left a rather large void in my day to day existence...especially when it came to writing. Cooking and blogging helped fill up "units of time"...and gave me some semblance of routine.

Next week, I start a new job. It's really only been 5 weeks and I don't feel like I've done much over that time. Certainly, I haven't really done that many recipes. I mean...Julie Powell did maybe 50 of her recipes in 5 weeks. It gave her readers something to go back to on a daily basis.

So...I'm going to try and give you something more. I THINK about food and cooking everyday. I talk about it a lot...but not to you. I sit there writing down notes and reading things about cooking to try and come up with my next concoction. I have no idea if it's much of a good read, but it should at least keep me more focused on this work, especially if I'm going to start working full time again. So, feel free to kick my metaphorical blogging a-- if you don't hear from me for a week (like last week).

Chinese style Roast Pork

Gourmet Inspired Tip: I made this last week to serve with Stephanie Alexander's French Onion Soup. A bit of an odd combination, but the pork and baby bak choy themselves are a great combination and work as a light entree. Alternatively, serve with rice for a good and simple main. Char siu (roast pork) sauce can usually be found in your local supermarket in the Asian section.

Ingredients:

300 g pork fillet
1 packet red char siu sauce (about 100 g)
2 tbs honey
sesame oil to taste
1-2 tsp sesame seeds
2 baby bok choy
2 sprigs parsley, finely chopped
oyster sauce to taste

Method:

Cut pork into 4 pieces. Cover the pieces thoroughly with char siu sauce and marinate for at least 4 hours or overnight. Hint: if you wrap the pieces in foil, you can use the same piece of foil to grill the pork and keep more of the flavour.

Pre-heat grill to medium/high. Brush pork pieces with 1/2 the honey and sesame oil before grilling. Sprinkle with sesame seeds.

Grill each side for 10 minutes. Turn grill temperature up to high and brush pork pieces with remainder of oil and honey and grill for another 15 minutes or until pork is cooked through.

To cook the baby bok choy, boil approximately 1 litre of water. Separate the leaves and scald quickly in boiling water for 1-2 minutes. Remove immediately.

Layer a bed of baby bok choy on plate and drizzle with oyster sauce. Place grilled pork on top and sprinkle with parsley to taste.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Paige Green,

    I actually am interested in starting a blog and wanted to see if anyone was blogging about Julie and Julia. I'm happy you asked the question about why people blog. When I start mine I will include as to why I will be blogging.

    First, I thank you for the recipi. It looks yummy and takes me back as to when I lived on Long Island, Ny in Huntington Township. My Grandfather owned a small meat market called Whitman's Meat Market. Next door was/is the Walt Whitman Museum/ birth place. He delivered meat to Mei Tings Chinese Restaraunt and the pork there was absolutely delicious. We ate there as a big Italian family.

    Second, whey do people blog? I bet it is for a variety of reasons. For me, I am looking to start a blog while a write a book. The blog will help me find out if my direction is taking a liking to those who might be interested in my journey. That appeared to be the focus of Julie. She wanted to and did try her hand at cooking French with Julia Childs. I admitt I haven't read her book or the book written by Julia Childs. However, I did just buy Julia Childs' Cook Book. Probably never would have if not for the movie.

    Paige, I hope you look me up (not yet on a blog). My book title is going to be, "The Episcopal Church Welcomes you." It isn't going to be the history or you should be an Episcopalian, or at least I'm intentionally not going to be trying to do that; it is going to be about this protestant church has a slogan. Yes, to my knowledge the only one. On every sign it says, "The Epicopal Church Welcomes You." I've been taking pictures of various churches as my husband and I have traveled, written notes about the area (tourist info) and what the church does to welcome you. So I hope as I blog, those reading will let me know what they think. People tend to be more honest, sincere, and the comradary will be welcomed.

    thank you sincerely Paige for being my first person to blog to. : ) deb.gerhardt@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Deb,

    Thanks for your thoughtful post. I think that's great that you're starting a blog on something you're passionate about. A blog is something so personal, on the one hand, but it is really such a great opportunity to share really "blog to" an audience...and feel connected to some one from afar.

    I'll definitely look you up. Best of luck with it! =)

    ReplyDelete